Sunday, November 27, 2005

French Hot Chocolate


If you've ever seen the movie Chocolat and loved it, then you've probably, at one time or another, craved the hot chocolate featured in the movie. It's French hot chocolate, and I'm finally posting the recipe, as promised.

I found this particular concoction at Bed and Breakfast Inns Online. I adapted it a little according to my own tastes.
  1. In a medium, heavy saucepan, bring to rolling boil: 1 cup light or heavy cream.
  2. Immediately remove from heat and whisk in: 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, cut into 1/4 inch pieces. (Refrigerate the chocolate concentrate in a covered jar for up to 10 days.)
  3. For each cup of hot chocolate, stir together: 1/4 cup chocolate concentrate and 1/4 cup of milk, cream, half and half, or water.
  4. Heat on low or in a microwave on high for 45-60 seconds, until warm but not boiling.
  5. Stir in: 1/2 teaspoon sugar and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla.
  6. Top each serving with whipped cream, and sprinkle with cinnamon.
The site says this recipe is a richer, sweeter version of hot cocoa. I found this to be half-true. It's definitely richer, but I'd also say it's a little bitter. As you can see, I added some sugar to make it sweeter, and I also played around with different chocolate -- Baker's German chocolate is a bit sweeter, but it's also richer. You really just have to play around with the recipe and find out what you like. But I can tell you this: If you're not into anything other than the standard American milk chocolate, you probably won't like it.

The key to French hot chocolate, though, and the part that makes it fun is the thickness. It's so viscous that it leaves a film on the sides of the mug. Check it out:


Just try it and see what you think! I will be trying out different versions, too and will update my blog accordingly.

(In case you're wondering, that "little something extra" in the first photo is a Pepperidge Farm Chocolate Hazelnut Pirouette. They also come in Mint Chocolate and Vanilla flavors.)

2 comments:

Blake said...

I had some of this stuff down in Brazil from a guy that used to live in Paris. It was arguably the bestest thing I've ever drank.

mmmmm....

Anonymous said...

Loved it. Every bit of it. On the back of the Hershey's cocoa box is another great hot chocolate recipe--it's quick and easy.