Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The King and I


The peanut butter and banana sandwich (with or without bacon/bacon grease) is often referred to as the The Elvis because it is widely known that Elvis Presley ate many a PB&B sandwich in one sitting.

How I know that, I'm not really sure, and why it gives me somewhat of a thrill every time I eat such a sandwich, I don't know. It might be because I really like Elvis. (I mean, have you listened to Jailhouse Rock lately? So good!) And it might be because I find it fascinating that people in the '50s did the same things as people now. (Really, that thought never gets old.)

One thing I do know is that minus the bacon/bacon grease, The Elvis is a highly nutritional sandwich. I like to eat mine on toasted whole wheat English muffins or flatbread. A few tablespoons of crunchy peanut butter and a sliced banana make it a low-calorie, healthy meal!

Now, go! Get thee to a kitchen and make The Elvis!

4 comments:

Dracoverde said...

One of my favorite sandwiches! (Kudos on the crunchy PB.) I never thought about toasting my bread in this situation, though I occasionally enjoy PB toast for breakfast.

And yay for new posts on food!

Genevieve Jones said...

They are pretty good - I didn't know they had a title name though. Also, is it weird that it really bothers me that that peanutbutter/honey is about to drip on the table?? ;)

Sara said...

Hahaha! No, Genevieve -- that's not weird, 'cause I thought that, too. But I also thought it was the best picture of The Elvis, so I used it, anyway. :)

jules said...

I too enjoy the Elvis sandwich for both its healthy and tasty attributes.

I must say I know a lot about Elvis as I had a mild obsession with him in my early 20's. Pricilla Presleys biography is riveting!