Monday, May 01, 2006


Could it be real? Could it be true? Could the Hershey candy company have begun producing Cookies 'n' Mint again?

Well, folks, believe it. Because it is true. I spotted them a week ago at Cowboys gas station, and today I actually bought one. It was as delightful as it ever was.

I'm not sure what brought this small miracle of capitalism about, but I have an idea it has to do with Steve Almond's book Candy Freak. (If you've found this blog about chocolate, you probably already know about the book.) I'll save the discussion of this book for another post, but I'll just say that in his 2004 publication, Almond describes candy that has gone into . . . extinction. One of them was Cookies 'n' Mint. He bemoans the loss of this candy within the first 3 pages, and the book had pretty good reviews. So I just bet that Hershey took some notice.

Thanks, Mr. Almond.

Update: Since writing this post, I have searched for information on Cookies 'n' Mint production, and sadly, I have to wonder if it is too good to be true. I noticed the other day that the words "Limited Edition" were printed on the stash of bars at the gas station I had been buying them from. What does this mean? I don't know. But I have a feeling it doesn't mean that Hershey is producing an entire line. I'm sorry chocolate-lovers and Pro Chocolate readers; I should've checked my facts thoroughly first.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

No way!

I saw some when I was in NYC, but I thought they were just very, very old ones from last year. (This is why Hershey's needs freshness dating on their candy.)

Yay for Cookies 'n' Mint! (I prefer the miniatures and ate the last of mine last month.)

Anonymous said...

Oh yes! Going to buy Hershey's Cookies 'n' Mint is now on my "to do" list for tomorrow. This is the best news I have read all day!

Sara said...

Ooh, yes -- the miniatures ARE good aren't they?

Also, I've discovered that I like Cookies 'n' Mint to be hard when I eat it. Sometimes I like chocolate when it is kind of melted, but not Cookies 'n' Mint!

Anonymous said...

Where in New York can I get these Cookies 'n Mint bars you speak of?

Anonymous said...

If anyone finds where these can be bought online, please email me at kendaclee1@hotmial.com! Thanks!!