Thursday, December 15, 2005

Ghirar-heaven?


Ghirardelli chocolates aren't my favorites. I'd rather have a Milka or a Ferrero Rocher. Yesterday, though, I DID have Ghirardelli because my boss gave me some small samples -- or "Fun Sizes," as the candy world likes to call them. I wasn't expecting to be swept off my feet. But swept off, I was. I scanned the wrappers in the order of best to . . . least best. I'll cover the main points below.
  1. Milk Chocolate with Double Chocolate Filling. This piece was brilliant. There was just enough filling to make each bite the perfect moistness. Now -- nearly two days later -- I can't recall what kind of chocolate was in the middle -- sweet or semi-sweet? Whatever it was, it was gooooood.
  2. Milk Chocolate with Caramel Filling. The effect here is kind of like those Nestle Treasures. The Caramel isn't chewy, but syrupy -- just how I like it.
  3. Dark Chocolate with White Mint Filling. This was actually not that tasty to me. As I get older, I am developing a taste for dark chocolate, but I'm still pretty particular about the amount of dark chocolate in a candy. For example, dark chocolate tastes great with mint. Look at the York Peppermint Pattie or the Junior Mint -- peanut butter and chocolate is perhaps the only flavor pair that tops the dark chocolate/mint combination. The problem with this Ghirardelli version, I think, is that it just has too much dark chocolate. To put it another way, Ghirardelli didn't use enough filling.
Well, folks. There's a very rough overview of Ghirardelli chocolate anatomy. Try these little chocolate squares out. I think you'll be very pleased.

1 comment:

Blake said...

me things Ghiradeli are the best. Lindsey and I had a chocolate sunday in San Francisco at their factory there and it was teh best thing i've ever tasted.