Friday, December 23, 2005

5-Minute Fudge

My sister told me the best fudge she ever tasted was Rachel Ray's 5-Minute Fudge her friend made. I'm a bit skeptical of Rachel Ray because I've heard that her recipes are not as quick and easy as she professes. Some food critics say that her recipes are good, though. And Summer did say it was the best fudge she ever had. Summer's hard to please when it comes to fudge, and actually, so am I. So I decided to give Rachel Ray a shot. And I came to the conclusion that if I ever need to make something to impress someone, but I don't have a lot of time, I'll make this fudge.

Her fudge includes currants, and it's in the shape of a wreath. I generally think that putting fruit in dessert completely goes against the whole purpose of dessert, so I left the currants out. Also, presentation is nice, but in my family, desserts don't really last long enough to make the presentation matter, so I just slapped the fudge in a 1" jelly roll or cake pan. Fudge wreaths? Who needs 'em?!?

So this is what my final adaptation came out to be:

1 (12-ounce) bag semisweet chocolate morsels
9 ounces (3/4 of a 12-ounce bag) butterscotch morsels
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (8-ounce) bag walnut halves

Lightly grease the cookie/cake/jelly roll pan with softened butter.

Place a heavy pot on the stove and preheat it over low heat. Add chips and milk and stir until chips are melted and milk combined. Stir in vanilla, and remove fudge from heat. Stir in nuts immediately.

The fudge will set up almost immediately. Chill covered in the refrigerator.

Now, this recipe does not take 5 minutes. But it probably doesn't take more than 10, either. Because butterscotch has a higher melting point than chocolate, you will probably need to raise the heat a bit past "low". I suppose you could just add as much butterscotch as you like, since it's a pretty rough measurement. Same goes for walnuts. If you like crunch, add more.

It's really a foolproof recipe. Try it.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

I think you should consider a post dedicated solely to mint chocolate next

Leezy Lindsey said...

I don't even like fudge and this is one of the best things I have ever tasted!!!