Friday, August 10, 2012

Chocolate and Coconut Milk Cake


I made this cake last night and brought it into the office today for my co-workers.  (Well, that's a dummy picture, but my cake looked nearly exactly like it.  So . . .  It's a pretty easy frosting job; there are no big frills or anything.)

It's good, and I suggest you try it.  I didn't love it, though, and half an hour later, I'm thinking about why.  Here are some thoughts:
  • It's the most intensely chocolate cake I've ever made.  I usually don't find anything "too rich," but for the first time in my life, I did.  The cake has an excellent chocolate flavor, though, so I will keep the cake in my repertoire.
  • There is too much frosting!  I don't think the cake needs so much.  In fact, if I were to make this cake again, I'd probably halve the frosting.
  • The coconut was not toasted enough, and I'd recommend sprinkling the coconut on just before serving.  Otherwise, it gets a little soggy from the frosting.
The cake was, however, the perfect level of moistness.  I'd suggest you try it for that reason alone.  And it's just such an interesting flavor combination for a cake, so give it a whirl.  If you like coconut and chocolate, I think you'll like it.*

Chocolate and Coconut Milk Cake


*Perhaps that was a big reason I didn't love it.  That is, I don't love coconut.

2 comments:

Susana said...

Seguro que te gustará mi blog
http://purochokolat.blogspot.com.es/

Anonymous said...

Sounds super tasty!
-Nice photograph.